Monday, April 12, 2010

SmartBike.


It's a pity we didn't get to ride bikes in WAS but there was no good opportunity for it. By the time I saw some bike rental places we had already walked everywhere and were also using the metro. A bike just to get from our hotel to the Smithsonian wasn't going to be a very adventurous ride so I didn't pursue it.

I did intend to try a SmartBike while I was there but after doing some research I discovered you have to register, it's not just the sort of thing you walk right up to and swipe your visa.

On our last night in WAS we were passing a row of SmartBikes on the walk home so we stopped for some documentation.

The photo above was taken by Raffaella. You can check out a variety of our spring break photos here. It's very fortunate that I was vacationing with such an excellent photographer. She was able to capture everything in a way that my novice photographic skills (and equipment) could not.

In any case, it's encouraging to see a bike share program in WAS, even if it isn't perfect yet (I've heard some people complain about the limited places you can pick up and drop off). There's something sort of retro about the bike too. I have a few more shots of my own but the import from Don's computer seems to have left a few things out. Will report back again on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive