Saturday, April 17, 2010

Redbike Party


Oh man, the redbike party was so much fun! At one point there were just a bunch of us outside talking dorky bike talk and it reminded me of these groups of people who congregate at various Tim Horten's locations around the city. There's this one Timmy's where it's all bikers. And Don and I just discovered another one by this Timmy's near Calgary Trail, where all these Dodge owners were using the parking lot as a speakeasy. There's nothing more strange to me than people ogling somebody's Neon.

Like the creepy car people we were very niche-like, but I think bike niche people are awesome.








I took tons of photos but have decided to group some of them into future posts. Stay tuned for those littered among the remainder of vacation reports I still have.

Back to the party. When I arrived, my beloved Leanne was there to greet me!





Inside the store.






It was bustling.






Inside, this girl was admiring the Abici I really like. After I noted that her bag (marc) and dress (nokomis) were impeccable she divulged that the Pashley had also caught her eye. I told her to go outside and ride mine to see if she liked it. So we went out and she took it for a spin.




I think she liked it! Hopefully she finds a bike that she enjoys, Pashley or not.




I've always loved the Steelwool frames at the store. It was a novelty for me to meet an owner of one.




His lady friend had a great outfit.




More bike stuff.




Bags to boot.




Wicked mezzanine level. Very impressive. Tons of storage.




My friend Marilyn arrived on her Brompton!




Followed shortly by another Brompton owner. Marilyn has a black one. This one is the other lady's, in red.




Refreshments.




Pretty things.




More pretty things (eek, bike dudes!)




New friend Ron is running around with his GoPro camera.




Pretty baby girl.




Judith!




Road bikes can be pretty too.




I liked this girl's bag.




Redbike fulfills all your bikey needs.






Don arrived later, after having his hair cut.




Dan asked me to hold his fork. It's so shiny!




Then there were rims too, and I thought I would be all editorial with them.




And here's Ron, documenting all of it. It will be fun to see what he puts together from the footage he shot at the party.




I met a lot of really great people tonight and had a super time with friends both old and new! The best part is we were all at the same place because we care about active transportation and local business. Sometimes I feel like there is no point fighting the good fight (caring about the environment, trying to make other people care, etc). The world is a tough place and one person is really inconsequential to the bigger picture, or so it seems every now and then.

But when I meet and spend time with good people I feel such hope. The redbike extended family is full of such people, and it just makes me happy to know they're out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive