Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Break!


The original post I had in mind was going to be a photographic celebration of the dresses I have selected to go on vacation with me. But I figure you guys will see enough of that stuff, anyway, so instead here are some pictures from my previous visits to New York City!

Tomorrow we leave for little over a week to Washington D.C. and New York City. It's funny how all this happened because the original plan was always to go to Chicago. Don is an architecture-phile and I'm a fan of big cities. We were planning on Chicago last year but I was one week too pregnant to fly internationally. Bad timing. So we ditched Chicago and did Ottawa and Toronto instead, opting to meet up with some Edmonton expatriate friends and such.

Chicago got postponed until this year.

Before I ever started blogging my two best girlfriends and I were a seasoned globe trotting troupe. When I look back at those trips they rank amongst the best times I have had in my life. Ever. In recent years people have moved, gotten jobs, and are now all in serious relationships. Vacation time isn't as easy to come by as it used to be and a lot of the time it gets spent on attending somebody's wedding or going on a trip with one's guy instead of one's girls.

I suggested to my lady friends (Crystal and Rosie), that they could bring their respective men along and come to Chicago if they pleased. Unfortunately it just didn't work out:(

I was relaying this story at a later date to new lady friend, Raffaella. We started chatting about group travel and somehow ended with planning the trip with her and man-friend, Chris (who also happens to be our good friend and Don's campaign manager). Chris had suggested if we were into buildings and galleries and museums... D.C. would be a splendid place to take in such things. I was in agreement, but noted that I didn't want to spend over a week in a government town. So we tacked on NYC. Yes!

So Chicago... you're still on my wish list. It's just not happening next week. And I figured if Chris and Don were EVER going on a vacation together... those two dorks in D.C. is probably the most fitting thing.

I am beyond excited. With all the "bleh" from our extended winter (it snowed substantially here... again) and a general need to reboot, this trip has been long anticipated. I look forward to warmer weather. Lots of window shopping. Lots of walking around taking pictures. Lots of good food. Lots of adventures with friends.

There won't be outdoor movies in Bryant Park this time of year, but I'm thinking there are going to be plenty of fun things to do post 9 pm. The best thing about NYC is how there are people in the streets ALL THE TIME. Imagine that!




Tooling around Soho.




Sitting on the stoop at the Met years before Gossip Girl made it popular (though I haven't read the books).

EDIT: A kind reader pointed out these are actually the NY public library steps. Oops! But same idea:)




Shopping on 5th avenue. Breakfast at Tiffany's much?




Dancing! I love that you can go to a club in NYC and not be the oldest person there. Though I suppose it depends on the club.




Wandering around in DUMBO.




Getting gelato in Little Italy.




Meeting up with good friends! My best man friend, Richard, goes to Rutgers. He'll be taking the train in to spend some quality Miss Sarah time.




Times Square! Oh, am I ever eager to see the changes made in the last few years. I heard Broadway Blvd has revolutionized the human traffic. And on that note about walkability, I hear the High Line is wicked. Looking forward to seeing segments of that, too.




Do you know how hard it is to find a place to sit down in the upper west side?




Although I won't be traveling with my best lady friends of yesteryear, I'm sure the reunion of the "dream team" will be sweet when it finally happens. Until then, I'm looking forward to new adventures with other members of my urban family.




And yes, I'll see if I can get on a bicycle in either of these cities and will report back! If any of you readers are in D.C. or NYC, get in touch and we'll make magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive